[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4592: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4594: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4595: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
CheesePirate.com • View topic - Community segregation

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Community segregation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am 
Terror of the High Seas

I have been an SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) customer since January 2005, playing their online games, mainly Everquest 2. I've been a fairly loyal subscriber, I have helped with illustrations for fan sites, I have talked people into giving the game a try, I have tried to entertain the community with silly stickfigure comics and forum signatures. I have voiced my opinion in the past on SOE decisions I disagreed with, but for the most part I have still kept playing the game because I have great friends to play with and because the game itself is a lot of fun to me. Not so anymore.

SOE have made a deal with a German company, ProSiebenSat 1, and basically sold off all of their European customers without asking us about it first. What does this mean? It means EQ2 servers will be region locked from now on. Anyone not living in Europe who plays on any of the European servers will not be allowed to play on European servers anymore. Anyone from Europe who starts playing the game will be forced to play on the European servers.

This means that any of my European friends I talk into trying the game, I won't be able to play with, because my characters are on an American server. Furthermore, since I will aparently be a ProSiebenSat 1 customer, I will not get customer support from SOE if I have any problems, even though I play on a SOE server and not a ProSiebenSat 1 server. Yes, European people who are already on US servers will be allowed to stay there if they chose, but will not be able to make new characters. Existing European guilds on US servers will die slow deaths, as no new European players can join their server to replace the old Euro players who grow tired of the game and quit.

As of now there are on the official EQ2 forums, not a single post has anything positive to say about this thing. One of the posts is from a German living in the US, he has played on the German language European server since 2004, it is where all of his friends are, all of his game characters, his guild. Because he lives in the US and has a US credit card, he will be kicked off the server and forced to play on an American server where he doesn't know anyone. He will not be able to play with the people he has played with for 8 years anymore. His story is not unique, a large percentage of players on the Euro servers do not live in Europe.

The deal SOE has signed with ProSiebenSat 1 also covers a lot of other games, including the yet to be released EQNext (Everquest 3). When EQNext launches, I will not be allowed to play on the American servers and my non-Euro friends (who make up at least 90% of my gaming friends) will not be allowed to play on the European servers. Strangely the deal does not include all games, so people who used to pay one subscription for both EQ2 and EQ1 (myself included) will have to pay two subscriptions (one SOE and one PSS1) if they want to keep playing both games. Also, for those who use microtransactions (I am not one of those) to buy appearance gear, PSS1 has its own microtransaction currency which will replace SOE's for European EQ2 players. So people who play both EQ1 and EQ2 will no longer be able to use the same currency to purchase items in EQ1 and EQ2.

Then there's PVP - there are no European PVP servers, just an international PVP server. When this new virtual Berlin Wall is erected, new European players will not be able to start playing there, blocking Europeans from using that version of the game.

SOE has problems, one of the biggest being that they never learn. They keep making massive changes that their player base does not want, then asking for opinions *after* the change has been made, and then for the most part ignoring all the feedback. 22 pages of negative feedback on the forums shortly after this was announced, and not a single SOE person has responded yet, except for forum mods censoring some of the posts. I'm sorry to say this but right now, if you are ever thinking of picking up an SOE game, my advice to you would be "don't do it".

Post subject: Re: Community segregation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm 
Terror of the High Seas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Terror of the High Seas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:46 pm 
Terror of the High Seas

ProSiebenSat 1 also posts customers' full names: - who in their right mind would want to hand over their data to this company?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:50 pm 
Plate Armoured Pirate Knight?

When i signed up for SoE Games, this wasnt what i signed up for. Its like Paying for an Apple computer and you get a toy car instead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 pm 
Terror of the High Seas

Just a little comment on SOE's way of dealing with people's feedback so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 am 
First Mouse

wow that is really screwed up ... and to think we supported this company and this game for sooooo long only to get treated like a pile of !poop

i'm glad i no longer have an active account. but i do miss my euro friends on Everfrost :(((

long live the Blind Guardians!!!

!pirat01 !pirat04 !pirat03 !pirat02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 am 
Plate Armoured Pirate Knight?

Enough is enough! Even with my patience I have cancelled all my accounts effective from today. I hoped that SOE would sway in their decisions of the Prosieben cooperation, but instead they have made it far worse. I do NOT want to sign up at Prosieben to play, I do not want anything to do with them at all. Forcing all European players to sign up at Prosieben to play Sony games is just wrong. So this is the end of the road for me when it comes to Eq2, and SoE.

Am I angry? YES I AM!
>:( >:( >:( >:(

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]