[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4592: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4594: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4595: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4596: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
CheesePirate.com • View topic - How the comic is made

How the comic is made

Where you can discuss anything related to the Cheese Pirate comic strip

How the comic is made

Postby Vanja » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 pm

, having already read all the books available on anatomy and studied the EQ2 graphics to get the armour and weapons just right. Then I hire professional models and take photos of them in the poses needed for my strip, before sketching the strip, based on the photos, with a pencil on paper. Professionals use fancy super special blue pencils but since I spent all my monies on those models, I'm going with a regular cheap'n'gray 2b pencil. The result should end up looking something like this:

and ask myself, "is this funny enough, or should I rewrite it before I start inking? Oops, I already started inking, didn't I. I really should water that bonsai, I wonder if it is still alive over there in the window." Then I remember that only 5 people read the comic and I'm not getting paid so it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks:

, 115 minutes of which are actually spent checking if anything interesting has happened on facebook/twitter/various forums. The result is usually rather messy:

, wishing I had one of those fancy blue pencils so I didn't have to, and place the strip in the scanner:

because the scanner refuses to talk to my main computer anymore:

(ArcSoft PhotoStudio 2000) from 1999 that came free with my scanner (I do have Photoshop, but for the mac, and my mac died years ago) to add colour or shades of gray to the strip, on separate layers:

because it's quicker than picking all sorts of different colours:

so I can be sloppy without it being too noticeable:

, publish on website and spam forums and twitter:

and wait for feedback ("I don't get it." "I miss Lunch, he hasn't been in the strip for ages." "When are you going to finish my sig?"):

Vanja
Terror of the High Seas

Re: How the comic is made

Postby Taylen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm

really wish i could be a model.....i so much look like a toon from eq2 :) If you need me or my hand for modeling you know where I am...get your people to ring my people :P
Taylen
Master Mariner

Postby Arbeus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Great guide! Do you recommend any special kinds of cheese? !cheese1

And Taylen: Pics or it didn't happen! ;)
Arbeus
BOOOMS!

Postby Taylen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:33 pm

pft... just immagine it, i'm blue with purple hair, nuff said :D
Taylen
Master Mariner

Postby Arbeus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 pm

So... You're an emo smurf? :P
Arbeus
BOOOMS!

Postby Mocah » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 am

Very nice Vanja :)
Mocah
Deckpaw

Postby Nori » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:40 am

Always interesting to know how other people work and, this little touch of humour is pleasant :)
Nori
Barnacle Bait

Postby Hambutt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing the secrets of your humble hobby, btw, i dont want a sig, never heard of lunch, and i do get it.

ps i did think , wow i didnt know you could use your laptop to scan with, i thought id missed some spekial twik and was imagining placing my a4 sheet of paper on the laptop screen and looking for a scan button, roll on friday.
Hambutt
Stowaway

Postby Vanja » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Vanja
Terror of the High Seas

Return to Cheese Pirate